Paleo pumpkin muffins: Toddler approved!

10:14 PM

Here's a muffin top I'm not ashamed to call my own.

Sometimes you just want something fresh-baked and warm from the oven, but when you’re avoiding wheat and flour, that can be tough to do. This week I was really craving something a teensy bit sweet and a whole lotta good, with the added bonus of being easy to grab and go in the morning. On hand I had almond flour, honey, a few eggs, and canned pumpkin (not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling, which has a ton of sugar), and some pumpkin pie spice mix. I looked around the internet for a recipe, then decided to just mix up my own and see how it all worked out.

I may have licked the knife after this picture was taken.

It all worked out beautifully. Here’s how I made these delicious pumpkin muffins:

1 1/2 cups almond flour (also called almond meal)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons of honey (I’m estimating here--really, I just squirted some in until I was satisfied)
3 eggs
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (again, that’s an estimate)
(optional) 2 squares of Ghirardelli 90% Cocoa Dark Chocolate (not strictly on the Paleo diet, but you could sub in unsweetened coconut flakes, cocoa nubs, pepitas, etc)
paper cupcake liners

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients and blend with hand mixer. Spoon into paper liners in muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges appear golden brown. Makes 12 muffins.

That’s it, folks. So easy and so good!

A few notes about the muffins:

The batter is thick, so whatever shape the muffin is when it goes in the oven will be the shape it comes out. If you don’t like the rustic look, smooth the top of the muffins or smoosh them into the cupcake liner. 

There are many, many variations to this recipe floating around online, calling for anything from a half dozen eggs (!) to vanilla to pureed squash to baking soda to maple syrup to...you get it.  My point is, this was a basic recipe that turned out really well, but if something sounds good, experiment!  Let me know if you do!

I was really impatient and started eating these pretty much as I pulled them from the oven, and I was disappointed that they were sticking just a tiny bit to the paper.  The next morning, however, they peeled off easily, so let them cool for a few minutes before eating.  Alternatively, you can add more coconut oil or grease the muffin tin and see if that helps.  

Finally, these muffins are Atticus approved!  You'll notice he put down his blue Dum-dum sucker (right on the couch cushion), so you know they were good:

Nom Nom.

What do you think--will you try them? I ate two three many of them the first day, as did Atticus, and have been eating them for breakfast since.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments