I’m late to 2015

9:45 PM

Atticus looking into 2015.

As usual, I’m late getting to the party, but I wanted to ask about your resolutions and goals for the new year. For those of you who made resolutions, how are they coming along?

I’m the type of person who goes through a “resolution” phase a few times a year. For me, it’s about reflecting on where my life seems to be headed, re-examining my hopes and dreams for imminent and distant future, and trying to make changes, big and small, to stay on a course that makes me happy. These phases usually come to me when I have some down time from school or work, when I have time to decompress and let my mind wander.

This year, I vaguely thought about my goals and next steps, but I was preoccupied with babies and toddlers and holidays, and I didn’t really get the chance to just sit and think until well after January first.  But finally, I’ve been able to write down a list of my goals and dreams.  Here are the things I’m trying to focus on in 2015:




De-clutter, organize, and “home up” the house, especially problem areas like mail and filing paperwork. The ever-present stack of papers in our dining area annoys me to no end. We are also woefully lacking in some areas as far as decor and household necessities. I plan to tackle specific areas as the year progresses, to make sure I’m implementing systems I’ll stick to and finding products I’ll love to keep for a long, long time. Keep an eye out for before and afters!

Decide on a Master’s program and start in the fall. Guys, I’m a huge nerd. I love school, which is probably an important reason why I became a teacher. I’ve actually missed going to classes, working on papers, discussions with other students...I need to get back to it, but I have two somewhat opposing career paths that I need to choose between before I enroll in any classes.  

Keep transitioning from the “fourth trimester” to my postpartum health and lifestyle.  Following the Paleo diet and exercise are the main focus here. I’m not worried about “getting my pre-baby body back” because, to me, that’s silly. I successfully birthed two beautiful babies and for that I’m pretty dang happy with my body even now, knowing full well it will never totally go back to being a pre-mom body. That is okay with me. I’m focusing more on being healthy and happy so that I can enjoy life with my kids and they can have me around, God willing, for many, many more decades. 

Start more structured play with Atticus.  I’m using the baby as a reason, but not an excuse, as to why there are days when Atticus has a Toy Story marathon--well, that and the fact he has recently become obsessed with “Buzz and beep-beeps (Cars).” Now that we are starting to settle down again, I’d like to make a very loose daytime structure for him. And on the note of structure...

Create a few schedules for cleaning and meal planning.  I think actually creating a plan for both of these will ultimately lift the burden of domestic life a little bit. 

Spend more time and energy on this blog and other creative pursuits. I really love working on the blog.  I also love reading and writing.  You know what gets pushed down the list when times get crazy?  Yep, the things I love to do. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to carve a few hours per week out for me.  Is it?

Finally, I want to go out alone with Sean once a month. This is the only thing I feel is more like a resolution than a goal because it’s so specific, and I’m going to feel very disappointed if it doesn’t work. I mean, I’m only asking for twelve dates in a year. I know Sean is on board--the trouble is just committing to it.  We went out this month, so just 11 more to go to accomplish this resolution and hopefully stick to it.

Our January date: doin' it right.

Looking through this, I see the common theme is time, and how to carve each day to fit all of my needs. Not surprising, but interesting to see it jump out when I actually write it all down.


So how about you?  Any resolutions, or goals?  What’s on your plate for 2015?

You Might Also Like

0 comments