An exercise in self-control

8:56 PM

I was in T.J. Maxx with a fully paid off credit card, a fresh paycheck in my bank account, and a new house to furnish.  


I believe this is what scientists call a perfect storm.

I started out innocently.  I really needed a new pair of sunglasses because Atticus broke a pair of mine.  I found them and continued around the perimeter of the store, picking up shampoo and looking for a cute and cheap pair of shoes for my gigantic feet.  No luck.

I should clarify-- they aren't swollen yet.  I just have long feet.

Next up, food and home decor.  

Literally, I was standing in the middle of an aisle, debating my next move.  Figuratively, I was standing on the edge of a cliff.  I could dive right in and just buy everything that caught my fancy, or I could turn and run back to safety.

What to do, what to do?

I hesitated.  I've only been in our new house once.  I have loads of pictures on our iPad, but only a few accessible on my phone.  Nothing is really permanent in my mind.  What color is our bedroom?  What's the upstairs bathroom look like again? What shade of gray our our kitchen cabinets?  Sean is convinced they're blue, not gray.  I can't trust him. 

Eventually I decided to proceed with caution and just take pictures of items unless I was certain that I needed an item.  And good thing, because to be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed.  I need to take inventory of our current house, purge the crap out of every room, then see how everything will fit in the new home and make choices from there.  

But enough text for now. Here are some things that caught my eye.  What do you think?  

For the living areas:



 Is this not the perfect color combination?!




Look at these wonderful pillows!  But they wouldn't go with our dark brown leather couches right?  Sad.



Aren't these clocks fabulous?  I think I should have bought at least one of them.


Coral in the formal living room?  That'd be great with the gray walls and brown leather furniture, right?


Or yellow?

Kitchen essentials:



Glass storage containers.  You know, to replace the reused potato salad and mini eclair containers that I use instead of proper storage containers. I guess these are more of a "want" than a "need."



This cutting board was huge, heavy, and beautiful.  But I don't know if it really went with the kitchen. Also we have granite tile counters--can't I just cut on those?


We actually have this container in tan and brown, but I love this teal color so much more!  I won't get it though.




Amazing produce towers.  I actually think I need that third one.  Lovely right?

Random pieces:


Candlesticks made to look like antlers.  Cool right?  But do I use candles?  Not ever.


These two chests of drawers were so cute...but what would I actually use them for?  Also, the hooks that are sitting on top are too cute, but I don't need them at the new house.  Bummer.


Geode book ends!  I love them!  I might need to go back for a few for the mantle or our book cases.


These storage boxes were calling my name, but I couldn't remember what our closets and cupboards were like to buy some.  But don't you love the window to see what's inside? I sure do.


Perfect example of something beautiful but totally not functional.  What do I need with two mini metal suitcase boxes?  What could I possibly justify storing in there?  
...but they're so pretty!

Looking back at these, there are only a few items that I think might be wise to back and get for the new house.  So good job Emilia-- you didn't max out your credit card on meaningless decor.  

Let's see if that happens again the next time I'm there. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments