Thank Me Later: Read a book

8:19 PM


If you know me, you know I love reading.  I’m the weirdo who would stand in line for a book release.  My credit card rewards me with Amazon gift cards.  I asked people to bring a book to Atticus’s baby shower instead of a card.  This is my basement:

Must. Buy. More. Books. 

Four floor to ceiling book shelves.  All full.  It's OK to be jealous.  This room might have the most potential in our house.
There's also old comfy chairs, a sectional, a fireplace, and a door wall down here.  I know how lucky I am.

I pride myself on being well-read in all age groups.  If you want a book suggestion, I've got one for you plus 8 more lined up.  But I’ve been finding it hard to find the time to read a book for my own pleasure lately.  I think I’ve read three books in the last year, not including great little reads for Atticus like Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle, or I Want to Be Somebody New by Robert LopshireIf my son gets anything from me, it’s my love of reading.  Also, his good looks.  

Only three months old and reading by himself.  Genius. 

Like pretty much every pleasure in life, I feel like I don’t have the time to indulge.  But by golly, if a book is an indulgence, what has my life become? So I’m going to read a book this weekend.  Specifically, I’ll either be reading Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James or And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, whichever comes in the mail first.  My friend Samantha and I are starting our own two-person book club which will probably meet via text or phone call since we live on opposite sides of the state (unless I can convince her to move back this way... it’s a work in progress).  I think we have pretty similar tastes in literature so I’m pretty darn excited to start reading.

I’ve also got another book club opportunity with some friends from high school, but since I’ve already read the choices for this month, I’m skipping this first meeting.  If you’re interested, the choices are The Giver by Lois Lowry (wonderful young adult literature) and The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling (crime novel, not really my style).

This weekend, you should read something for yourself.  It doesn’t necessarily have to be a new book, or a novel, or an “adult” book.  Heck, I’ll even allow a magazine if you promise to read the articles and not just flip through the pictures.  Pick something you’re interested in and make the time to lose yourself in someone else’s storytelling skills.  
If you need ideas, check out my Pinterest boards Books I Love! and Reading List.  Check them out. You’ll thank me later for all of the good ideas.  

Let me know if you've read anything great lately!  I'm always excited to hear what people are reading. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments