Pass or Fail: Blanket Ladder

9:37 PM


Last week I said I would again be cheating in my Pass or Fail posts by writing about something I did a long time ago, and not a current experiment.  Well, I’m not going to disappoint you, because we've had this in our living room for ages.  I also didn’t actually create this little decoration craft.

Not my actual blanket ladder. Source: Potterybarn.com 

See that cute five foot ladder from Pottery Barn?  Want one?  It’ll cost you $179.  Uhh, that’s almost $36 per foot.  Really, Pottery Barn?  I get that you’re Pottery Barn and most of the stuff you put out is lovely, but I just can’t justify that.  Not when we had just picked up an old ladder for free from Sean’s cousin.

I’m told this was incredibly easy to create, but I must confess that I didn’t do any of it.  Sean used a circular saw to cut the ladder in half.  He propped it against a wall and eyeballed the angle at which he’d have to cut the legs of the ladder so that it could lean comfortably against the wall.  That’s it!

Boom. Done. Lovely.

The ladder was so long that we had enough to get two pieces that go floor-to-ceiling, so we have one in each corner of the living room. Score!

Before Sean made the ladders for me, I had blankets just lying around on the couches and chairs in the living room.  Sometimes I’d try to fold them nicely over the back of the couch but they never stayed.  Aw, who am I kidding?  I’d usually be too lazy to even try that.  I’d just fold them haphazardly into a pile and leave them on a corner of the couch.  Now that they have an actual place to live, I take the time to fold them and put them away.  

Well, not all the time.  I can’t lie to you.  But when I do put them away, it’s so cute!  Don’t you think?

My living room is not currently this clean.

This project definitely gets a pass from me!  It was easy (so Sean says), the ladder was free (you can find them pretty cheap at thrift shops, estate sales, etc.) and looks great.  You could make it rustic by roughing up the wood, vintage by painting it a funky color, or classic by staining the wood.  

There are tons of ideas for ladder projects floating around the internet.  I’d love to do this project using a ladder as a shelf, maybe in my dining area.  Do you have any cute and thrifty DIY projects you’ve done or that you wish you’ve tried already?  Let me know!

More ladder DIY projects, if you're interested: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=ladder

You Might Also Like

0 comments