The second trimester blues

7:55 PM

There's this idea that during the second trimester most women get a bump in energy--nausea has usually subsided, you're not terrifically huge yet, your pregnancy is pretty well established, and you're all geared up to get ready for baby.

Um, yeah, not for me.  Hence my absence last week.  I was utterly exhausted.  Like, all week.  I took two-hour naps with Atticus and practically begged him to sleep longer.  Projects, cleaning the house, and anything that was not totally necessary got pushed back until some other time.  I even found myself nodding off during Orange is the New Black!  You know I was truly tired if Crazy Eyes couldn't keep me from floating off to la-la land.  


I love you, Uzo Aduba.  Source

Also, I was dreading an upcoming appointment late in the week.  Without being too dramatic about it all, I have gestational diabetes (again) and have to start insulin (again). I am now officially a high-risk pregnancy (again).


The good news is that I now have a legit reason to include this image in today's post. Source


Even though I knew it was coming, I'm still a bit bummed.  No one really enjoys sharp pokes 5 times a day, right?  Luckily I was prepared from my previous experience with Atticus.  I've been checking my blood sugar once a week for most of this pregnancy and recently noted that my readings were getting wacky.  I actually skipped the 1- and 3-hour glucose tests because I'm such a spectacular and meticulous patient (my words, not my doctors) that my doctor said it would be overkill to do the tests when it's clear that I need insulin (doctor's words).  

So yeah, exhaustion, gestational diabetes, and then this weekend, a sick baby.  Atticus had a really high fever Saturday and Sunday, to the point that I was worried I might have to take him to Urgent Care or the E.R.  He's fine now, but man, he was so miserable.  Not to mention we were an hour away from home, at my dear cousin's house ready to party with the family, when he really took a turn for the worse.  It broke my heart.


 My sweet, sick baby.  Also, where'd he get those eyelashes?  Mine are like half the length.

He's feeling much better now, thank you very much.  Quite silly, in fact.  I'll share some of the silliness tomorrow, but right now, my exhaustion is once again overcoming me, and it's time to shoot up--with legally prescribed medication probably derived from pig insulin (source). 

Life is good.

You Might Also Like

0 comments