Pass or Fail: Two Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Cake

8:20 PM

Almost every Sunday my mom and I bring some sweet treats to church for a coffee hour after the service.  And almost every Sunday I bring something I brought from the grocery store bakery.  It’s not that I don’t like to bake. I actually really like it and I think I’m pretty good at it, too.  But on a Saturday afternoon, I’d usually rather be hanging out with my guys, or going to dinner with friends, or catching up on work, or...just about anything but baking.  


Last week, I asked myself, “Hey weirdo, wouldn’t it be nice to actually take advantage of this little responsibility and make something, since you like making things?”  So I looked on my Sweet Treats Pinterest board and saw the incredibly easy looking two ingredient cookies. 

Looks yummy and just two ingredients?  I’m in!  Source: CookiesandCups.com

One can of pumpkin, one box of spice cake mix.  That’s it! 

When I told my mom about my brilliant find, she suggested I just make it like a cake, and obviously that would be less time consuming than scooping little dough balls onto cookie sheets, so I tried it.

My apologies; I should have styled this picture somehow to make it prettier.  Maybe cut the cake into pieces and stacked them on a nice plate.  Live and learn. 

I baked the cake at 350 for about 18 minutes, but my oven runs hot.  The dough was very dense and spread out very thin in a 9x13 cake pan--like, less than half an inch tall.  I was afraid the dough wouldn't rise and I was going to end up with biscotti instead of a cake, but it came out fluffy and delicious! 

Nice job rising to the occasion, cake.  I'm hilarious. 

In the future, I might add a lil sum-sum to the batter-- maybe mini chocolate chips or a whipped topping as frosting. But they really were delicious.  Almost the whole pan was gone by the end of our coffee hour, and what came home with me didn’t last more than a day.  

My verdict is an absolute pass.  Extra credit for only being two ingredients!  Points off for the dough being super dense though.  I mixed it with a beater, and I still had a few little specks of batter that didn't incorporate evenly into the pumpkin.  No one seemed to notice though, and I didn't find any weird try textures in the (many) pieces I ate.

I see you there, you little ball of dry mix.

Any good, quick recipes you can share?  I love anything quick and tasty to add to my repertoire!  

Also, if you have any little things you want me to try, send them my way!  Food, DIY projects (easy and cheap please), beauty tips, miscellaneous things you’ve always wanted to know about, let me know!  I’m an experiment waiting to happen!

You Might Also Like

0 comments