Real talk: Atticus’s nursery

10:16 PM


Just take a moment to soak up this chaos:

Notice the blur in the corner, throwing things around like he owns the place. 

Once upon a time, I had dreams for Atticus’s room.  Big dreams.  Pin-worthy decor and clever organization tricks.  It was going to set the standard for baby style.  Before we even knew if he was a girl or boy, I bought a crib set with owls (it was on clearance!) and found lots of little accessories to go along with the look.  His room-to-be was covered in dated wallpaper with a “sports ball” border. I thought it was hideous but Sean kind of liked it, so of course I won.  With no help from me because I was hugely pregnant, he took the paper and painted the room.  This is one reason why I keep him around.

Originally we had big plans to paint an argyle pattern in the border.  Seriously, argyle.  Doesn’t that sound fab?  But also it would have been so much work and my dear loving husband had done so much already.  At one point during a particularly annoying day when we ran out of paint, he looked at me and said, “How mad would you be if we did the argyle sometime later?”  

I think we both knew, deep down, meant,“I am so freaking sick of this painting business that I’m done, but I’m asking you to be a polite and considerate husband.”  I nodded my agreement.  I wasn't even doing the work and I was already tired. 

Once were were close to finishing the room-- we were just missing a door for the closet, curtains, and some other little miscellany-- I snapped some pics of Atticus’s room.  



Even unfinished, these pictures of his room are so dear to me...because they’re the last time his it was clean and organized.

Cute, tidy, easy.  The argyle border and curtains would have put it over the top to adorable, in my opinion, but it was nice. Organized but cozy with room to play.  I was pleased.  

And this is what I live with now:


At least Atticus tells me “Dank doo” when I clean up after him.

To be honest, I’m still pleased with the room.  Don’t get me wrong, I know the shortcomings.  There are still no curtains on the windows (even though I have them!).  I never close the curtain over his closet.  There is no argyle anywhere.  I tidy this room often, and it never stays that way more than a day.  But that’s okay.  I’m learning to accept that this will never be a Pinterest nursery. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I will never be the mom with the house that’s always ready for someone to stop by for a visit.  I know I’m that person who will scramble to vacuum, wipe down, tidy, and shove junk into closets and drawers before someone comes over. 

I’ve officially given myself permission to have a crazy tornado house, because that tornado baby is usually pretty happy, and that makes me happy.  Ultimately that matters more than a picture-ready house.


Don't worry about it Atticus, I wasn't going to fold those clothes or put them away.

But I’m curious: does anyone out there in real life actually have a neat, organized, adorable nursery?  It doesn’t count if you your child can’t crawl yet, because you haven’t entered the struggle yet.  I want to hear from the people who have to clean up after a tiny tornado.  Do you clean up after every mess?  Is your nursery always ready to share?

You Might Also Like

0 comments