The bread trick

11:42 PM

A simple trick to keep foods fresh and beautiful edible. 

Just a quick little sum-sum for all you out there dealing this 2015 blast of snow: here's a little trick to revive stale foods. You know, just in case you're snowed in and all you have to eat are stale cookies and crackers...not that I've ever offered that to Atticus for breakfast or anything.

I know I've posted about being on the Paleo diet and how  I am avoiding wheat and other grains. But there is still a use for bread in my house--for one, Atticus is a little French soul who almost always has a croissant for breakfast. He’s very cultured.

Bread also has a place in my sugar canisters. Let me explain.

The other day made my mom’s amazing sloppy joes (cheat meal!). Maybe I can convince her to allow me to share the recipe--but they are kind of a secret recipe, so no promises. Anyway, as I was cooking, I discovered my brown sugar hadn’t been sealed properly the last time I used it. It was one huge rock that was impossible to break.  

Those white flecks on brown sugar rock? Stab marks.

I honest-to-betsy tried to stab it a few times and only nicked the surface. I chucked it at my countertop and it didn’t even crack. The sugar block, I mean.

In the end, I got a sharp knife and a hammer, chipped off a few small chunks, melted them in water, an used sugar water in my sloppy joes.  Desperate times, my friends.

But what to do after that? Throw out a bag of perfectly sweet, if rather dense, bag of brown sugar? No, no, no. Time for the bread trick.

I placed a single piece of fresh bread in the canister and sealed it tight. The next day....

Like new again!

Voila! Moist, measurable, usable brown sugar again. It’s incredible!

The bread trick works with anything that gets stale when it loses moisture, like cookies, cereal, chips, popcorn, so toss a few bread slices in with these perishables and they’ll stay fresh so much longer.  


Did I just blow your mind, or did you already know this trick?  Any other food hacks you’d like to share? I’d love to hear!

You Might Also Like

0 comments