Iron and Gold

10:18 PM


Once in a while, my gold will turn my skin black.  I’m talking real, high-quality jewelry, not costume jewelry.  

Gangrene? Frostbite?  Charcoal?

It’s just a shadow on my middle finger in the picture above, so I took the liberty of showing you the reaction on a different part of my body:

Uhh, you’ve got a little schmutz on your face, dear.

I’ve always heard an old wive’s tale that if gold makes your skin shadowy, it means you have low iron.  This used to make sense to me because I had iron trouble growing up, but lately it’s been fine, so now I’m questioning the idea.   I’ve tried and tried to find a real reason why it happens to some people, but I can’t find anything that sounds legit.  I’m not allergic to any of the metals mixed with gold (If you don’t know, no gold jewelry is 100% gold because it’s too soft.  It’s mixed with alloys--other metals to make the jewelry more durable.)  It’s not makeup, lotion, or soap because it happens anywhere on my skin, clean or dirty.  It happens with yellow gold or old white gold (new white gold jewelry is made differently than old jewelry). 

Since I'm a curious mind, I want to know: why is this happening to me? So I’m reaching out to you all... does anybody know--like, really know-- why this happens?  Have you heard that old wive’s tale about the low iron, or maybe some other reason?  Also, just for funsies, try it on yourself.  Don’t worry, it wipes or washes off really easily.  Share your knowledge with me!

One last thing... I did this to my face and waited for Sean to come home from work.  He’s a lucky man to come home to this every night.  

Welcome home, Sean.

You Might Also Like

0 comments